Box braids aftercare
· Wash the braids after 3 weeks. 2 weeks if you have an active life style or have dandruff.
· Use a sulphate free shampoo and a deep moisturising conditioner.
· Make sure the hair is dry thoroughly. Leaving it damp can make them smelly and itchy.
· Oil scalp frequently. Your scalp will be more exposed to the elements, so you need to keep it moisturised. Pour warm extra virgin olive oil and a couple of drops of tea tree / witch hazel oil into a spray bottle and spray on every other day – an easy home remedy to cover the scalp without the mess.
· Try not to pull the braids into tight ponytails or buns as this can cause added tension which may result in hair loss.
· You may want to consider sleeping on a silk pillowcase. Silk minimises friction and helps preserve moisture.
· Braids shouldn’t be left in any longer than two months, with the front portion being re-braided every 4 – 6 weeks.
· When the braids are removed, the hair may feel dry or brittle, and it will seem as if there is a lot of shedding. Bear in mind the hair has been braided away for a couple of months so all the hair that has naturally shedded in that time will come out now. Take care when removing them, being extra gentle and patient.